Author Biography: Elena Ognivtseva





Elena is an avid blogger who enjoys writing articles on fashion, beauty, lifestyle, fitness and recently, CBD niches. Elena has been described as a "delightfully eccentric with a creative take on things" (New York Times) with an ability to "bring you new facts that will make you go WOW!" (Vanity Fair). Elena has been writing since her uni days where she was a regular contributor to the student magazine. After pursuing a career in finance in the heart of London's financial hub, Elena has decided to start blogging in her spare time as an outlet for her creativity and ideas. During her spare time, Elena enjoy horse riding, camping and hiking, interior design and keeping abreast with the latest trends. Elena is in the process of starting up her own beauty cosmetics line in the near future. Elena is also a contributing author to fashion and lifestyle magazines and has been featured in Vice, Country Living, Harrods magazine, Daily Telegraph, Grazia and Women's Health.


Retailer List





Anderson’s Royal Polytechnic – established 1837 as Glasgow’s first division retailer. Bought by Lewis’s within the Nineteen Twenties and rebuilt. A new Lewis’s department store opened on the site in 1929. Lewis’s – group went into administration in 1991. A variety of stores have been subsequently acquired by Owen Owen. The flagship Liverpool retailer was final owned by Vergo Retail and closed on 29 May 2010. Allders Department Stores – group went into administration on 29 January 2005.

M C Hitchen & Son – bought to Littlewoods in 1952. George Hitchcock Williams & Co. (St Paul’s Churchyard, London) – Established 1841; closed 1984. Havens Opened 1901; Store closed in 2017 and moved to being an internet retailer solely. George Henry Havelock – Destroyed by fire 18 July 1898; rebuilt 1900; closed 1914. William Harvey – Bought by Army & Navy Stores 1953. Acquired by House of Fraser 1976; renamed Army & Navy; renamed House of Fraser. Grant Warden (Walton-on-Thames) – Formerly Campbell & Booker.

Vape Shop in Vale Royal, UK


Hurst & Sandler – principally a manufacturer of gowns and different textile items. Acquired by United Drapery Stores. Webbers – Succeeded City Drapery Stores 1905. Bought by Hide & Co. 1952; closed 1971. Vokins – Established 1882 as ‘Leeson & Vokins’.

Bought by J E Beale; renamed Beales. Godfreys – closed 2015; re-opened as Kerry’s Home Furnishings. Finnigans (Wilmslow; previously Manchester) – Relocated from Manchester metropolis centre to Wilmslow c. Bought by Hoopers 1982; renamed Hoopers 1982. Closed 2001 and renamed House of Fraser. Eastmonds – Bought by Banburys of Barnstaple; renamed Banburys.

James Brokenshire


Lingards – Originally Sunbridge Road.Bought by United Drapery Stores; New store opened The mall, Westgate. Both shops closed by UDS on 23 April 1977.
Acquired by John Lewis Partnership in 1940. Selfridges flagship department retailer was not a part of this acquisition and was acquired by Lewis’s in 1951. Woolland Brothers – Established 1869; new constructing accomplished 1901. Bought by Debenhams 1949; closed 1967.
All branches were subsequently offered or closed. The flagship Croydon retailer continued to trade independently after 2005, finally closing on 22 September 2012.

Bought by Army & Navy Stores 1955; renamed Army & Navy. Acquired by House of Fraser 1976; renamed House of Fraser 2007. 1880s; succeeded by Norman Jones & Co. McDonalds, Wylie & Lochhead – formed from the merger of McDonalds and Wylie & Lochhead by House of Fraser 1957; renamed Frasers 1975. Jones Brothers – Bought by Selfridge Provincial Stores. Acquired by John Lewis Partnership 1940; closed 1990.
W H Hunt & Co. – Established 1889; closed 1923. Located at 197–207 Kensington High Street. Holdrons – Bought by Selfridge Provincial Stores. Acquired by John Lewis Partnership 1940; bought 1948.
Site now occupied by The Park Tower Knightsbridge Hotel . Building bought by Hoopers and reopened as the primary Hoopers retailer 1982. Acquired by House of Fraser 1959; renamed Rackhams Seventies; renamed House of Fraser 1980s; closed 1998. Bought by John Lewis Partnership 1947; offered to McCartney Stewart. Site now occupied by a part of Marks & Spencer and south-japanese section of Arndale Centre .

Vape Shop in Canterbury, UK


Traded as ‘Leeson & Vokins’ 1882–1937; W H Vokins 1937–1983; Vokins 1983–1997; closed 1997. Vokins continued to trade as ‘Vokins Furniture & Beds’ from a web site in Hove till closure in 2015. Tuttles – Bought by Debenhams c.

Jones & Higgins – Established 1867. Acquired by Great Universal Stores; closed 1980. Re-opened as the Houndsditch earlier than closing in 1984 and being demolished and replaced by Aylesham Centre. Norman Jones & Co. – Succeeded Makins & Bean. Bought by Mr. R. H. Carlton 1911; renamed Carltons 1918.

Vape Shop in Halton, UK


The co-operative continues to function a number of companies outdoors of non-meals retail. Harrison Gibson – closed 2010Harrison Gibson – Opened as a branch of Harrison Gibson of Ilford. Bought by Army & Navy Stores 1968; renamed Army & Navy. Acquired by House of Fraser 1976; closed 2004. North constructing now occupied by T K Maxx . South building demolished and web site vacant .
Building now occupied by T J Hughes . Compton House – Built for retailer J.R.Jeffery in 1865; closed in 1871. Building converted to a hotel in 1873 and a part of the constructing has been occupied by Marks & Spencer since 1928. Fear Hill – group of four department shops; the Trowbridge store was established in 1880. This is a listing of malls of the United Kingdom. In the case of department store teams, the situation of the flagship store is given.
  • Pearsons was sold to Morleys Stores in 2010, with the Bishop Stortford store closed in 2012.
  • In 1971 the business was offered by public sale to Pearsons of Enfield.
  • Henry Sparrow Started as Sworders Ironmongery store in the course of the mid 1800s in North Street.
  • His household grew it into Bishop Stortford’s only division store.
  • Opened as Hammonds on completion of recent building 1970.
  • In 1904 it was bought by the shops clerk, Henry Sparrow.

Acquired by House of Fraser 1977; renamed House of Fraser c. Dawson Brothers – bought by Drapery Trust; ownership subsequently transferred to Debenhams; bought Closed. Located at City Road / East Road junction. Cresta House – opened by Debenhams as a department of Cresta House in premises previously occupied by the Harrogate department of Marshall & Snelgrove. Bought by Schofields; renamed Schofields. Acquired by House of Fraser; closed.
Rankin & Co. – Bought by Benzie & Miller; renamed Benzie & Miller. Acquired by House of Fraser 1958; renamed Arnotts Nineteen Seventies; closed 1980s. A L Ramsay – Established 1845, later A L Ramsay & Son.

Vape Shop in Wolverhampton, UK


Gosling & Sons – Established 1795. Bought by John Barker & Co. 1947. Acquired by House of Fraser 1957; closed 1968; reopened as Dickins & Jones on completion of latest building 1970; renamed House of Fraser 2007. G R Cooper – purchased by Selfridges in 1966. Original store demolished 1973 for brand spanking new store as part of Westgate growth. Bourne & Hollingsworth – Closed 1983.Bourne & Hollingsworth – Opened as a department of Bourne & Hollingsworth of Oxford Street; sold 1979. Bonds – purchased by John Lewis Partnership in 1982; renamed John Lewis in 2001.
This record doesn’t embrace giant specialist stores, which generally resemble department shops. The listing is broken into “presently trading” (A–Z); “defunct groups” and “defunct” (A–Z). Kennards – Bought by Drapery Trust; renamed Debenhams 1973.Kennards – Opened by Debenhams as a department of Kennards of Croydon; closed. Bought by House of Fraser 1977; closed 2005.David Evans – Opened as a branch of David Evans of Swansea 1961.
Busbys was itself purchased by Debenhams in 1958. The retailer was renamed Debenhams in 1973 and continues to commerce from the same web site . Subsequently, acquired by House of Fraser 1969; renamed Dingles 1973; closed Nineties. Bobby & Co. – Succeeded John Cordeux & Sons as a department of Bobby & Co. in 1928; closed in 1932 and premises sold to Brights. Boardmans – bought by Keddies in the Seventies; closed in 1984 and building demolished.
Kennards – Opened by Debenhams as a department of Kennards of Croydon; renamed Debenhams 1973. R H O Hills – Bought by Whiteleys. Acquired by Vape Shop in Dacorum, UK of Fraser 1975; incorporated into the Binns group; renamed Binns; closed.
Gray Peverell & Co. – Established 1902. Bought by Binns 1926; renamed Binns. Acquired by House of Fraser 1953; closed 1992. Pearsons – Opened as a department of Pearsons of Enfield. Closed previous to sale to Morles and now a Primark.
Edward Bates – established 1869; bought by Bentalls in 1979; renamed Bentalls; closed in the Nineteen Eighties. Bought by Selfridges in 1919; incorporated into Selfridge Provincial Stores in 1926; rebuilt in 1935. Acquired by John Lewis Partnership in 1940; closed in 1981; constructing subsequently occupied by Waitrose. Selfridge Provincial Stores – group created by Selfridges in 1926.

Tyrrell & Green – Established 1897. Bought by John Lewis Partnership 1934; renamed John Lewis on relocation to new constructing 2000. Strange & Atkinson – bought by Bobby & Co. Staddons – Bought by Drapery Trust; ownership subsequently transferred to Debenhams; offered. Eldred Sayers & Sons – Bought by Bentalls; renamed Bentalls; relocated. Bought by J E Beale from Fenwick; renamed Beales; closed. Arthur Sanders – Established 1770.

Jeffrey M Donaldson


Acquired by House of Fraser 1957; closed 1970. William Plumpton & Son – Bought by Palmers; renamed Palmers. Bought by United Drapery Stores; renamed Allders c. J D Morant (Chichester; previously Southsea) – Established 1910; Southsea premises destroyed by bombing 1941; relocated to Chichester 1941.

Robert Maule & Son – established 1894. Bought by Binns 1934; renamed Binns. Acquired by House of Fraser 1953; renamed Frasers. Howards – Bought by United Drapery Stores; later included into the John Blundell group; renamed John Blundell.
Thomas Tucker – Established 1801. Bought by Benzie family, of Benzie & Miller, 1958; closed 2007. Ranbys – Bought by Debenhams Sixties; renamed Debenhams 1973; relocated 2007. Quin & Axten – Bought by Bon Marché 1920. Acquired by Selfridge Provincial Stores 1926. Subsequently, acquired by John Lewis Partnership 1940; closed 1949.

Bought by Drapery Trust; renamed Debenhams 1972. Joseph Johnson – Established 1880. Acquired by Fenwick 1962; renamed Fenwick. Bought by Debenhams 1943; renamed Debenhams 1973.
Bought by Benzie & Miller; renamed Benzie & Miller. Acquired by House of Fraser; renamed Arnotts; closed.
Corders – established 1787 Bought by Debenhams; integrated into Footman Pretty on completion of latest constructing. Edward J Clarke – Bought by McDonalds of Glasgow 1922; renamed McDonalds 1922. Acquired by House of Fraser 1951; later integrated into the Binns group; renamed Binns. Boothroyds – purchased by Broadbents of Southport; acquired by Owen Owen and merged with Broadbents to kind Broadbents & Boothroyds on the Boothroyds web site. John Banner – Established 1873; relocated to Attercliffe Road in 1894; rebuilt in 1934. Bought by Hurst & Sandler and subsequently acquired by United Drapery Stores; closed in 1980. Attwoods – bought by Kay & Co. of Worcester, the catalogue business in the 1950s.
Store was closed by then homeowners Merchant Retail on the 31st July 2004, contributing £300,000 revenue to the group. The building was offered to Atlantic Property Developments plc who demolished the building in 2005. Wilson & Co – established in 1883; building destroyed by fire in 1909 Store re-opened with new grand building and became known as Wilson’s Corner. Building now occupied by smaller models and flats.

Subsequently, acquired by John Lewis Partnership 1940; closed 1990. Pophams Plymouth – Opened in 1824 as Pophams & Radford before the Radford component was dropped in 1931. Bought out by Dingles in 1962 and closed shortly after. Ponting Brothers – Bought by John Barker & Co. 1907.
West & Moulton – Bought by Whiteleys. Verity & Sons – Bought by Owen Owen; renamed Owen Owen. Ricemans (Canterbury; beforehand Deal, Kent) – Relocated from Deal to purpose-constructed Canterbury retailer Sixties. Bought by Fenwick 1986; renamed Fenwick on relocation to new constructing ivg eliquid spearmint millions 10ml 18mg 2003. Pearsons (Bishop’s Stortford) – Opened as a department of Pearsons of Enfield 1972 in premises previously occupied by H Sparrow. Bought by Morleys Stores 2010; closed 2012.
Opened as Hammonds on completion of new constructing 1970. Subsequently, acquired by House of Fraser 1972; renamed Binns; closed c. Premises bought by Boyes and reopened in 1998.
Stuart Norris – Succeeded Driscolls. Acquired by House of Fraser 1975; renamed Chiesmans 1975; renamed Army & Navy; closed Nineties.
Building now occupied by Tesco Metro . Woodard’s Opened 1908 on corner of Regent Street and the Parade.
John Falconer & Co. – Bought by Scottish Drapery Corporation 1929. Acquired by House of Fraser 1952; renamed Frasers Seventies; closed 2002.

Bought by Drapery Trust; included into the Bobby & Co. group; renamed Debenhams 1970s. Genge & Co. – Succeeded George Dixon & Jameson 1899.
Nataly Komova Started as Sworders Ironmongery retailer in the course of the mid 1800s in North Street. In 1904 it was bought by the stores clerk, Henry Sparrow. His household grew it into Bishop Stortford’s only division store. In 1971 the enterprise was sold by auction to Pearsons of Enfield. Pearsons was sold to Morleys Stores in 2010, with the Bishop Stortford store closed in 2012.
George Hilton & Sons – Established 1882; closed Eighties. Main buildings demolished and website redeveloped as Orchards Shopping Centre. Former furniture constructing now occupied by Robert Dyas . Heelas & Sons Co. – Established 1854. Bought by Charles Clore 1947; sold to United Drapery Stores 1950. Bought by John Lewis Partnership 1953; enterprise of A H Bull integrated into Heelas 1953; renamed John Lewis 2001.

Building now occupied by Hoopers . W J Buckley & Co. – Bought by Selfridge Provincial Stores and subsequently acquired by the John Lewis Partnership in 1940. The retailer aspire skystar revvo kit was sold to Busbys of Bradford in 1953 who rebranded the store beneath the Busbys name.
Bought by Army & Navy Stores 1953. Acquired by House of Fraser 1976; renamed Dingles; closed Nineteen Eighties. The premises were bought by Denners.
Wright Brothers – Bought by Hide & Co. 1940. Acquired by House of Fraser 1975. Bought by Owen Owen from House of Fraser 1976; renamed Owen Owen; closed 1990; premises sold to Tesco.
Garlands – Located in London Street. A fireplace in 1970 destroyed the constructing and its neighbouring division retailer Buntings. The building was rebuilt but the store closed in 1984. Dale & Kerley – purchased by John Barker & Co.; acquired by House of Fraser 1957; included into the Army & Navy group c.
Bought by Binns 1922; renamed Binns. Acquired by House of Fraser 1953. Now only surviving store to retain the Binns name . Roslings – Opened at no. 31 London Road in 1905 before extending in 1932. Store closed in 1960 being bought by Woolworths who opened their new store in 1965. H L Reid – purchased by Great Northern & Southern Stores and Wright Brothers 1938. Subsequently, acquired by House of Fraser 1975.